Thursday, August 13, 2009

Wow! So Enlightening!

I just got off the phone with a Father Barnes (names have been changed to protect the innocent!) from the Epicopal Church here I so wish I could have spoken to him in person and I may at some point, but he gave me so much information about not only the Episcopal Religion but others as well.


Well of course the first thing he told me was the three main religions are Christianity, Islam and Buddism. Of course I knew this...ok, ok, I didnt, or didnt realize it anyway. He went on to explain that the Episcopals have priests, nuns, and are somewhat affiliated with the Vatican. Their priests are however, allowed to marry. It seems as though the Episcopal religion is a little more "liberal" (dare I use that word???) than the Catholics.


He explained that several religions aren't really Christian including the Quakers and the Mormons, which I did not know either. I think I am going to have to do some more research on that as I have always heard differently.He also informed me a little about the mechanics of Salvation and what you have to do to acheive that. The jewish roots that we come from believed that you had to sacrifice something, a lamb, a goat, etc to achieve salvation from sin. Of course once Christ died on the cross the Christians came to believe that Jesus did that for us and we no longer have to have sacrifices.


I am excited about attending the services this Sunday! UGH! I NEED a notebook and a voice recorder right away! Its hard to remember everything that I am told over the phone! Ok, I told you this was going to be a learning process!!