Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Quest

The Quest: Find a religion, one that I can identify with, relate to, and appreciate.

The Person: Thea, a 39 year old single mom living in Fort Worth, Texas, that is for the most part religuless. Ok, thats not a word, I am without a religion.


The challenge, if you want to call it that, consists of me going to area churches and finding a religion. I guess this is going to be a little more difficult than I originally planned as there are hundreds of religions.

Baptist
Catholic
Methodist
Seventh Day Adventist
Episcopal
Church of Christ
Judaism
Mormon
and on and on and on.

Well, a little about me. I am currently and have been for most of my life without a basic religion. My parents did not attend church regularly, so for most of my life I have not either. I, having grown up in Memphis Tn, went to Catholic School, because if you are school aged and living in Memphis Tn, going to public school IS NOT AN OPTION. So for many years I identified only with catholicism. Actually I tried to be baptized Catholic in my early thirties and was "kicked out" of catechism classes. Apparently I ask too many questions, or questions that they couldnt answer. Needless to say that was the end of Catholicism for me. More on that later.

Why am I doing this. Well for a variety of reason. One, I am unemployed, been unemployed for a while. I need something, besides job searching and mini nervous breakdowns, to keep me occupied. Two, over the past year or so, I have really begun to question the existance of God. I guess you could say I am a borderline atheist. I would rather believe than not believe, so I am on a quest for some answers. I would also like to learn a little more about the different religions. I know the basics and of course the things you hear on TV, like pentacostals kissing snakes, and Scientologists worshipping aliens. But do they really? These will be some interesting questions to have answered.

So to start this little project, I need to start thinking of a list of questions to ask the various religious leaders. This will start the project going, my first church attendance will be next Sunday. I guess I need to decide who to hit first. The Episcopals maybe?