Monday, August 10, 2009

Week One: The Episcopals

I am starting my project with The Episcopalians. Why you ask? Well mainly because there is a beautiful Episcopal church just down the road from me. Yes, I am shallow like that. I really don't know much about the Episcopalian religion. I'm sure I have encountered plenty of the Episcopalians in my time, but I can't think of any off hand and can't think of anything they may have told me about their religion.

From what I have read the Episcopal Church is somewhere between Catholicism and Protestant. I know tons about Catholicism, not so much about Prostestant, although someone did tell me once I should be Protestant. I took that to mean that the Protestants must be outstanding! I guess I will find I get around to checking out the Protestant church here.

Today, I will read up on the Episcopal Church and then try to make an appt with whomever is in charge of the church down the street with me to see if they can answer my questions and give me some information on what their church is all about.

I am very excited about doing this project. I have a few reasons for wanting to do this. As I have already stated I am unemployed. Apparently the odds of getting hit by lightening are greater than finding a job these days. This little project will keep me busy and keep me from becoming too depressed. Which it seems depression and joblessness tend to go hand in hand. The other reason I am doing this is because I have lost a lot of faith over the past year. It all started after my father died. It wasnt because he died, because I get that, he was sick and had been sick and it was his time. No, the reason my faith waned is because I had asked him to send me a specific sign. I did so about a week or so before he passed, I am sure he heard me and understood. As of today, a year and a half later, I have not received this sign. I was sure I would. I started to think of things to appear just as they seemed, and suddenly everything made sense. Kids don't get cancer because God wills it, it just happens. Cancer happens and kids happen to get it. There's no one up there pulling the strings, things just happen. Bad things don't just happen to good people, bad things just happen. Again, everything is just random, no rhyme or reason, just random. This revelation went against everything I have always believed in. I believed in prayer and God and an all seeing, all knowing entity, but I guess I don't anymore.

Mainly I am doing this because I need answers.