Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sin is a Big Deal

I have been thinking more about what the Episcopal priest told me the other day about how thousands of years ago people offered up sacrifices in order to be absolved of sin. It got me to thinking, how big a deal is it to sin?

Of course we all know of the seven deadly sins. " Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride". Of course the ten commandments are another list of sins we have to follow. What actually constitutes sin though? I was recently discussing faith and religion with a friend and she told me she often asks for forgiveness for cussing. I found interesting because I never think of cussing as a big deal. I guess I just worry more about the big ones, no murder, no stealing, etc. Is cussing a sin? Am I going to hell for saying the F word?

I know different religions have different beliefs, for instance the Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in celebrating birthdays. But if you do happen to be JW and decide to celebrate a birthday, is that considered sinning in their eyes? Many conservatist Baptist oppose dancing, does this mean ballerina's are instruments of the devil?

Do I need to make a bigger deal out of the sins I do commit? Am I not doing enough in the eyes of God? Is this way things have been difficult for me? Am I not doing all I should be?

I was listening to a Christian radio station here yesterday. I do listen to it from time to time although most of the time it gets my blood pumping when they start talking adversely about things like homosexuality. Anyway, a mother was on. Her four year old daughter had passed away recently from cancer and the mother was wondering what she had done wrong. She had prayed and believed that God would heal her daughter. She said some people in her church (she failed to say what religion she was) said her daughter may have died for the mothers sins. This infuriated me! What kind of God would kill a child because of the parents sins? Are there people out there that really think this way? Or does God punish sinners in this way?

And this takes me back to my original thoughts. Did the child die because it was God's will or did the child die simply because cancer happens.

So many questions. I am really looking forward to tomorrows church services at the Episcopal church.