Sunday, August 23, 2009

Baptists Are Nice!!!

So I attended the Baptist church today and was impressed with how nice everyone was! An elderly lady next to me asked how I was doing and welcomed me. I told her about my little project and she seemed interested! I have decided to go ahead be upfront as to why I am there, hopefully it will generate some interest in my blog.

The service itself was different than I am used to. I have been to Baptist churches before but its been a long time. The church was not as ornate as the Catholic churches I generally attend. They have a pastor rather than a priest and of course he was wearing a suit rather than robes. There was no aisle procession or anything of that nature. None of the pomp and circumstance that I have seen in other churches. I have to admit I do like some of the formalities of some of the other religions, there was none of that in this Baptist church. There was no kneelers, they do not sit, kneel, stand, kneel like some of the other religions.

They did do communion, which I was not aware that Baptists did communion every Sunday. But they bring it to you in a large plate. Stupid me took the host and ate it immediately! Thats how the Catholics do it! Anyway, they apparently wait until everyone has their host and then eat it. Then they passed out tiny little cups of grape juice, of course I would rather have wine! But it was a nice experience.

The sermon itself was longer than I am used to. The whole service was about an hour and twenty minutes. The pastor talked a bit about praying correctly. Now I'm wondering if the reasons my prayers haven't been answered is because I have never prayed correctly. I didnt realize there was a way to pray correctly, generally I just "talk" to God. I guess I still have a lot to learn.

Well, I really feel like I have dropped the ball with Baptists. I should have gotten in touch with the pastor and had him answer some questions for me. This is a learning process though, I guess I'm learning as I go. But to be honest I dont get the feeling that I'm Baptist.

Next week, the Presbyterians!!!!! I will get in touch with that churches leader and have set of questions for him! Excited about this one, I dont know anything about Presbytarians! Once again, I have picked a big beautiful church to attend. This week, I won't drop the ball!