Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Week Immersed in Judaism and Prayin' It Old School

Well, I am back, finally, this time for good! Lets hope anyway! So to update, my quest for God most recently took me to New York City. Thanks to an invitation by a Modern Orthodox dentist in New Jersey I spent almost a week totally immersed in Judaism. This was quite the learning experience for me. I ate kosher, got to explore Borough Park in Brooklyn and ate at kosher deli's. I have to say Borough Park freaked me out a little bit, to see how the Hasidic Jews live, dress and just to see their day to day life was very surreal. I felt like I was on another planet! Quite interesting to say the least.

I have to say I have been impressed with most of the Jewish people I have met recently. While I was in New York, I had dinner with a wonderful Modern Orthodox family. They were so kind to invite me, the food was amazing and I was able to see how a Jewish family spends the sabbath. NO! They don't sit around in the dark as I had imagined. We ate, talked, drank amazing wine and have wonderful conversations. Again, so impressed with Jewish family life. That being said I am still on the fence about converting.

Which takes me to today. I, at the coaxing of one of my readers, made an appt with a Christian Science practitioner. I am battling some depression and was told that a CS practitioner could help, so what the hell, I am going to give it a try. Stay tuned.

As I was leaving the Christian Science Reading Room I heard the bells from the Basilica of St Lawrence here. They sound so beautiful, as I passed by the church I felt compelled to go inside. The church is breathtaking, absolutely gorgeous. I haven't been to a Catholic Church in a very long time and it all felt to incredibly familiar to me. It seemed as though I arrived just before mass, so I decided to stay. Of course I know the prayers, and all the other practices that go along with a catholic mass. It was nice. I felt really good to be there. I even took communion, which technically I am not supposed to as I have never been baptized Catholic. Anyway, I'm sure God will forgive me.

I am still under a lot of stress. I haven't felt God anywhere around me lately, but today, I kind of did. I am still struggling with my faith, but I am feeling oddly calm today, almost hopefully.

I will resume my blog at once! I have an appt with the Seventh Day Adventist pastor here on Monday so I will continue with them as promised. So glad to be back!!! Once again on my journey to find God!